Holiday Park Accommodation Business For Sale
Matauri Bay, Northland, New Zealand
Matauri Bay – sheltered, beautiful, idyllic, magic …
Matauri Bay is one of New Zealand's natural treasures. Situated 30 km north of Kerikeri on Northland’s eastern coastline, this is one of the most beautiful places in New Zealand.
The white sand beach is ideal for safe swimming, fishing, surfing and jet skiing while the rocky coves and crystal clear water provide excellent snorkelling and diving. The spectacular Cavalli Islands are just offshore. The Rainbow Warrior was sunk here and is now Northland’s top dive site with spectacular corals and marine life of all kinds.
Matauri Bay, Holiday Park, and Putataua Bay
The Matauri Bay Holiday Park is the sole accommodation business for this iconic location. For over 40 years, this Camp Ground at the northern end of the beach has provided everything needed for great Kiwi holidays:
- Camp sites, on-site caravans, and chalets.
- General Store, fuel, and dive bottle refills.
- Beautiful views from right on the beach.
- Awesome walking tracks around the rocks.
Matauri Bay Holiday Park has come on to the market because the owners wish to retire from business life. There has been a Campground here for almost 40 years and generations of families have made it their home for summer holidays.
If you want a thriving business with a lifestyle second-to-none in a magical part of New Zealand, consider what Matauri Bay Holiday Park has to offer.
Business opportunities like this seldom come on to the market – don’t delay.
Beach life-style business in the Winterless North
Matauri Bay Holiday Park is about 30 minutes from Kerikeri in the Bay of Islands and about 4 hours north of Auckland. The camp straddles the neck of a small peninsula with ocean on two sides and Norfolk pines along the ocean frontage. An electronic barrier arm entry system operates and campers have card access to all amenities.
- Tent sites – 83 x powered sites, 97 x non-powered sites. All sites are level and some border the beachfront.
Campsites right on the beach
- Chalets – 2 x 2 bedroom chalets. Chalets sleep 5 people - a double bed in one bedroom and double/single bunk beds in the other. Bedding is supplied. There is a kitchen area with gas oven and hobs, microwave and utensils, crockery, kettle and toaster. Each chalet has a dining table and chairs, sofa, outdoor furniture and a 3-burner barbecue. One chalet has a television.
- Caravans – 3 x onsite caravans with wooden awnings, 4 x managed onsite caravans with wooden awnings, 4 x permanent sites. Caravans are equipped with toasters and utensils but hirers supply their own bedding.
- Permanent sites – 1 x chalet, 2 x caravans with wooden awnings, and one caravan.
- Open seven days, selling general supplies, petrol, diesel and LPG refills.
- Off-licence selling beers, wines, spirits.
- Dive bottle hire, dive bottle refills.
- Takeaways are available from a separate building opposite the store.
- Camp kitchen – stainless steel sink benches, domestic stove with oven, extra hobs, microwaves, and toasters, constant hot water system. There are also two barbecues with outdoor seating.
- Camp ablution block – Gents have a urinal, 8 x pans, 8 x showers. Ladies have 10 x pans and 8 x showers. The ablutions block has vanity-type hand basins, tiled floors and painted walls.
- Camp laundry and drying room – tiled floors, painted walls, washing machines and dryers are in separate rooms.
- Divers can arrange to dive to the resting place of the Rainbow Warrior.
- Boat launch and retrieve tractor.
- Separate toilet facility for public use.
The owners are selling the leasehold to 2.1 hectares of land adjacent to the Matauri Bay beachfront.
The property includes the shop (88 square metres, valued as part of the chattels), amenities block, and two further outbuildings. The shop is constructed of low maintenance Breeze Block walls on a concrete floor, aluminium joinery, and a long-run iron roof. It has been enlarged and refurbished over the past two years. There is also a concreted courtyard.
Norfolk pines line the Holiday Park boundary
The Camp Takeaways is a separate building located opposite the Camp Store. It is constructed on a concrete floor with wooden walls and a colour steel roof. The floor is tiled and the interior walls are lined with Seratone.
The Holiday park sewage-septic tank system was renovated in 2006-2007.
The lease has 13 years left to run (the owners are in the process of negotiating a new lease). The current rental is calculated at 6% of turnover (there are no rent reviews).
The 2-bedroom house is located on the leasehold and is valued as part of the chattels. The kitchen has a fan-forced oven, separate electric 5-element hob, and a dishwasher. Other facilities include a laundry and covered deck at the rear of the property. Chattels include floor coverings (carpet and tiles), drapes, light fittings, and two heat pumps. The interior décor has been refurbished over the past 5 years.
Assets being sold
A full list of lessee fittings, fixtures and chattels being sold is available. Main items include:
- Shop counter, display shelving, vinyl floor coverings, electronic surveillance.
- Walk-in chiller, walk-in freezer, chiller, display refrigerators (2), chest freezers (5).
- Microwave oven, pie warmer, dishwasher.
Fuel and Diving
- Compaq Commander electronic fuel management system ( 3 x petrol pumps and associated tanks are the property of GAZ).
- Air compressor – 15 cubic feet filling 3 bottles at once, associated electronics.
- Computer, colour printer/scanner, cordless phones (2), fax, electronic tills (2) with scanners.
- Stainless steel benches (2), prep bench sink, deep fryer (3 station), gas hot plate, microwave.
- Chest freezer, under-counter refrigerators (2), drinks display chiller.
- under sink hot water cylinder, double milkshake machine, assorted utensils, cash register.
- Late model Shilbura 54 inch cut diesel mower.
- Toyota Hiace diesel van, trailer.
- Tractors (3).
Matauri Bay Holiday Park - an opportunity of a lifetime
Day to day management
High Season (December 15 to Easter) – 8.00 am to 6.00 pm.
Low season - as required.
The Holiday Park is operated by 6 Full Time Equivalents (more during the high season).
Stock levels depend on the time of year – at 31 March, stock totalled $42,500.
Managers Licence – Liquor.
Health Licence – General Store.
Licence to fill LPG tanks and dive air tanks.
Advertising and Promotion:
Matauri Bay Holiday Park advertises in online travel Guides like Jasons, NZCamping, Holiday Accommodation Parks and other travel-related sites. The business has its own web site http://www.matauribay.co.nz/camp.html. Many campers are repeat visitors who come back year after year.
Call Maggie or Brian on +64 9 405 0525 (day) or +64 9 407 3150 (evenings)
Matauri Bay and Northland
Matauri Bay is 30 kilometres from the delightful arts and crafts town of Kerikeri, and just 40 minutes east of the renowned game fishing settlement at spectacular Whangaroa Harbour. Matauri Bay's sheltered white sand beaches and crystal clear waters have long made this a favourite aquatic playground for Kiwis. The bay provides fun for the whole family and the Cavalli Islands will take your breath away.
Rainbow Warrior, Greenpeace’s flagship that was sunk by French saboteurs in 1985, now lies as an artificial reef in the Cavalli Island group At a maximum depth of 27 metres, the Rainbow Warrior is now home to a huge variety of aquatic life and is a world renowned dive site.
Nearby Kerikeri is steeped in New Zealand history and attractions include the Kemp House, the oldest house in New Zealand, the Stone Store and Rewa's Village. Kerikeri provides an excellent range of shops, a busy cafe and restaurant scene, and a flourishing arts community with an excellent arts and crafts trail.
For more information about Matauri Bay and Northland, click on: